Taylor withdraws from RX150 Championship on a high

Taylor withdraws from RX150 Championship on a high
Taylor withdraws from RX150 Championship on a high

The Jake Taylor Rallycross team has made the decision to withdraw from the 2017 RX150 Rallycross Championship with immediate effect (August 25).

Having contested over half of the season (five rounds) Retford driver Taylor is placed a strong third overall in the ultra-competitive single-make, single-seater series.

Through the opening rounds of the season in England, Wales and Ireland, Taylor proved his ability to adapt and pick up the new driving style required for the top-flight buggy class, where the rear-wheel drive vehicles use sequential gearboxes and require different driving techniques to those previously experienced by Taylor in rallycross. The MSA Academy member displayed his skills in fast learning in order to adapt to the notoriously tricky, powerful, 200bhp buggies in the opening five rounds, and set podium pace right from the first event, challenging seasoned and experienced RX150 racers.

Even with some significant electronic setbacks and a huge crash at Mondello Park, Taylor departs the RX150 Championship in a strong championship position, thanks to consistently solid performances through the opening half of the year. In 2017, Taylor has also secured the support of LOCO Energy Drink, which has been a huge boost to the young drivers’ career. Taylor is working on a return to rallycross for 2018, with the support of LOCO.

The Englishman is also planning to sample a range of exciting different motorsport disciplines this year to make him an even more well-rounded motorsport athlete. "This was the closest vehicle I could drive to Supercar pace. That was very exciting and a big step for me,” said Taylor. “The RX150 felt natural, it really suited my driving style coming from a rally background and I found my pace quickly. I was fighting for podium places regularly, especially in the last few races. I must say an enormous thank you to LOCO Energy Drink for supporting my 2017 campaign as I would not have got this far without them, and I’m really excited about continuing to work with LOCO in supporting my future activities into 2018.”

“I will definitely miss driving the buggy and the friends I have gained in the RX150 camp this year. It’s been an incredible experience. The whole rallycross community has been fantastic in supporting me and my development in the sport so far and I will keep working hard to make sure #thefutureisRX. I have learnt an invaluable amount in the RX150 already this year and now it’s time to focus on other new possibilities. In 2018, along with planning a rallycross campaign, I will also enter the motorsport world full-time, working in the sport after successfully completing my MSA Academy three-year course.”

RX150 Rallycross Championship promotor Ollie O’Donovan said: “It’s fair to say that from the first test he had in an RX150 buggy, Jake improved with every outing and proved that he was able to adapt to the different challenges that the buggies give to the drivers. They are not easy machines to drive, so he can be proud of what he achieved in his short time in the class. It’s a shame that Jake won’t be completing the season, but we wish him the best for the future and the door remains open in the RX150 Championship should he ever wish to return.”

 

RX150 Rallycross Championship after round 5 / 9

1 Chrissy Palmer 129
2 Kirk Langley 114
3 Jake Taylor 103
4 John Ward 99
5 Stephen Jones 98
6 Brett Harris 92
7 Georgia Shiels 90
8 Marc Scott 75
9 Mitchell Flaherty 51
10 Adam Sargent 39
11 Larry Sargent 35
12 Steve Harris 18
13 Richard Moore 17

For further information on Jake Taylor Rallycross, search for Jake’s unique brand, #thefutureisRX on Social Media.